Tuesday 3 November 2009

Metal Sampler

I am making the most of my last day of holiday and avoiding the rain by staying in and crafting. I started this metallic sampler last night and have just finished it.

I started off with a Tic Tac Toe set, an American version of noughts and crosses. The wooden frame measures 7 x 7 inches. I painted it, front and back, with Paynes Grey acrylic paint and left it to dry. To decorate the wooden squares, which measure just over 1.5 x 1.5 inches, I cut nine squares of metal, large enough to allow for the edges of the wooden squares to be covered. Some I embossed using TSS moulds, others using Cuttlebug embossing folders. I applied PolyFilla to the backs of the moulded areas to prevent them becoming depressed.

To apply the embossed metal to the wooden squares I stuck narrow, double-sided Red Line tape around the edges of the wooden squares. After centering the metal over the wooden square, I folded the edges of the metal over the edges sticking them to the tape. I then used a patterned TSS roller to edge the front and sides of the squares. At this point all the squares were a bit shiny and so I antiqued them using Paynes Grey acrylic paint, that is applying paint over the metal and after letting it dry for a short before rubbing it off again to leave a dark residue.

The last stage was to stick all the embossed squares into the indentations in the frame ensuring, of course, that they were all lined up and straight.

No comments: