Well, as it's the last day of the year I thought I had better post my last two Art Journal Caravan pieces. I have just returned from visiting family so I haven't had time to create mixed media pages for the last two weeks, but here are my digital pages.
Credits: T Baxter & A Sexton @ SBG; overlay by Flergs @ SBG
I finished this a couple of weeks ago, but I hadn't been able to take a photo of it until now because the light has been so poor!
It started out as a plain brown papier mache box, 12 x 12 inches.
I started by gluing crumpled brown paper onto the lid, to give some texture. I primed the entire box with gesso and then painted it with acrylic paint. Then it started getting interesting, first adding the collage and then using various colours of acrylic and metallic paints to give it a shabby chic look. To finish I added the picture and lined the inside base. Hope you like it!
I started by colouring and stamping the postcard and adding the tape down the right-hand side. I then embossed the metal by running it through my Cuttlebug with a Ten Seconds Studio mould. I tore it across the middle, attached it to the postcard and then tidied the edges by running a patterned wheel tool over them. The butterflies were made by sticking the metal to card and then die-cutting and embossing them. Colour was added to both the butterflies and the sheet of metal by lightly swiping over the raised surfaces with alcohol ink. This removed the coloured surface and added the greeny turquoise colours. To finish, I made a hole in the top left-hand corner, attached an eyelet and threaded ribbon through it.
Childhood is the word this week and I have created a digital autumnal piece (a bit out of season, I know!) of children playing with leaves. As a child I always used to enjoy walking through piles of dropped leaves and kicking them up (and occasionally still do!).
Blowing in the Wind kit by Studio Berna & Scrappie Irene @ SBG
Mail is the word this week and I have made a piece of mail art. I started off with an acrylic background that I made a while ago. I then applied some digital filters and printed it out onto sticky labels. I stuck three of these labels onto a plain postcard and outlined them in black and finished it by signing it.
As you will see, the prompts from Srt Journal Caravan this week were about blue moons and gazing. First my mixed media piece, for which I used an acrylic background and then soft pastels, water-soluble pastels and pens.
When The Three Muses announced the theme this week as movies I was stumped as I don't have any elements directly related to films, but then I started thinking! One of my favourite films is Roman Holiday, featuring Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn. She is a Princess who 'escapes' for a day and has a lot of fun doing normal touristy things. So I decided to go for a piece with a flavour of happy memories in Rome. Hope this suits!
Credits: Travel around the World kit by Studio Manu @ SBG
Well, what's wrong with a bit of wishful thinking? Particularly when it is due to snow tonight!
I made this shadow box by reversing a deep canvas, painting it and framing it with Tim Holtz tape, attaching the background paper (from DCWV) and then adding the embellishments. The moths and and flowers were all made using Paper Artsy dies and stamps. I coloured the inside of the little bottle with alcohol ink and rolled up the paper to put inside it and, lastly, added the letters at the top.
Home is the theme this week and I decided to create a journal page.
I started by creating a digital piece using elements from Tangie Baxter's & Roben-Marie Smith's Art Stomp kit (at SBG). I then printed it onto labels and stuck some of the labels onto my journal page. I used water-soluble oil pastels and pencils to fill the gaps and make a coherent whole.
I hadn't worked in my Moleskine for a little while, so I decided it was time to go back to it.
This first page I created using a napkin as a background.
The second page I created for a challenge at Roses On My Table, which was opposites. I started by dripping ink onto one side of the page and then closing the book to get a mirror image. I split the page diagonally and painted one side white and the other black, and then added more paint through sequin waste. Then came the words and the red paint and arrows to liven the page up.
Here are six pages I made using double-sided paper with printed transparencies attached to one side. Various elements were collaged onto both sides of each page using stitching, glue and staples. I have put the pages in order so that you can see the effects of the sewing on both sides of each of the three pages.