The background is a photo I took at Skipton Castle. The chair, dog (both recoloured), clock and butterflies all came from iTkUpiLLi. I'm not sure where the candlestick came from.
Monday, 28 September 2009
This is my finished doll.
The last stage involved adding beeswax. Suzi Blu recommends doing this with a quilting iron, but as I don't possess one, I did my best using my melting-pot and a silicone spatula. Whilst the beeswax was still melted I added some mica and fresco flakes in coordinating colours. The three buttons in the lower right-hand corner were the final touch.
If you would like to see more detail, double click on the picture.
Once this had dried, I added some Tim Holtz stamps using Teal Archival ink. Unfortunately, it is hard to see them in this picture, but they are there! Then yet more dark red paint.
Wednesday, 23 September 2009
I used two photos that I took on holiday in Yorkshire - one of an old building we visited and the other a window in a castle. I applied the picture of the window over the second image. Having previously erased the backgrounds from the pictures of the two women, I scaled them to the appropriate sizes, to make it seeem that the one woman was looking out of the window and the other coming towards it. Finally, I changed all the colours and manipulated the image to give the feel of a poster.
Hope you like it!
Monday, 21 September 2009
Today I made this background using collage and acrylic paint.
I then pasted on my doll using matte medium.
Clearly, at this time she appeared very flat so I started to add some dimension and depth with pencils and paints.
Then decorations, colouring the edges and more depth & dimension.
She's still not finished. I shall probably do some more work on her before the final stage of beeswax, but I am pleased with the progress I have made.
Remember those scary faces ......
Sunday, 20 September 2009
Here is my entry for the 'gypsy' challenge set by Sunday Postcard Art.
Although it looks simple it actually took a long time to put together. It was created digitally. To start I erased the background from the photo of the gypsy . I then put her in an oval frame. This image was then placed over the rose background and darkened. Some of the script was appearing across her face, so I erased it. As a final touch, I added the lace frame, coloured it cream and cut the surplus edges.
Apologies! Both the gypsy image and the rose background were freebies I have acquired, but failed to note where from. Let me know & I will add an acknowledgement.
Friday, 18 September 2009
The challenge set by Art Creations Friday this week was to use the picture of a woman spinning in the forest. It seemed such a lovely image that I didn't want to play around with it digitally, so I made a collage using text from a dictionary (actually the definition of 'spin'), acrylic paints, some oil pastels, some stamps and some metallic rub-on paint.
Friday, 11 September 2009
I started this collage on holiday - I pasted on the large image of the hyacinths, which I got from a magazine. I then drew the hyacinths in the top right corner with soft pastels. I finished it this afternoon - I pasted on patterned papers in the bottom right and top left corners. I then applied patches of gesso and titan buff acrylic paint. Once dry I added a wash of magenta. A variety of paint colours were then dabbed on through sequin waste. Larger dabs were added randomly in different colours. To finish, the owls (Graphicus) and other images (Tim Holtz) were then stamped on top using brown StazOn ink.
Tuesday, 8 September 2009
I started by layering several different colours of acrylic paint, with some additional patches of gesso now and again. Once dry, pasted on some very thin patterned paper and a couple of small pieces of telephone directory. I then added the first picture of the statue (one I had taken on holiday). More brown paint. Then came paint patterns, using sequin waste and different colours of paint. The second picture was then pasted on. I then stamped several different Tim Holtz images using brown Staz On ink. To highlight the statues I went around the edges with some oil pastels. Finally, I added a few dabs of metallic paint. I think I will call it 'In the Garden.'
Sunday, 6 September 2009